Discover the authentic Portuguese chicken recipe.
The Portuguese-style chicken is a very simple recipe perfect for the BBQ season. It is a taste of summertime all year round and it is also very popular in the winter roasted in the oven.
2 tips to make this recipe a success:
First tip: the chicken is cut into 4 pieces or, better, in a crapaudine way: to prepare a "chicken Crapaudine", cut the chicken in 2 in the lengthwise and lay it flat on the grill of the oven or BBQ.
- 1 chicken
- 4 Peeled tomatoes
- 4 Laurel leaves
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 glass of white wine
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Piri Piri
- 2 onions
- Salt and pepper
- Peel the cloves of garlic and remove the sprouts, peel the onions
- Put the peeled tomatoes, garlic and onions into a blender and mix to get a tomato coulis
- Heat your olive oil in a saucepan with the laurel leaves, add tomato coulis, white wine, paprika, Piri Piri, salt and pepper.
- Reduce to half the volume to obtain a thick sauce
- Cut both sides of the backbone with poultry shears and discard , flip it over and press down to flatten it as much as you possible.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Place chicken and marinade in a roasting pan. Roast in oven, basting occasionally with the marinade, for 40 minutes
- Barbecue: Place the chicken on the grill over medium heat. Close the lid and let it cook for about 10 minutes on each side or until it is well cooked
★ Little tips
Please find below all the sauces, marinades and ingredients that will allow you to directly make your Portuguese chicken and many other typical Portuguese sauces:
- Portuguese Piri Piri
- Soft Piri Piri
- Piri Piri with lemon and herbs
- Special Chicken Pri Piri
- Piri Piri Cuhtney
- Piri Piri
- Special marinade for Portuguese chicken