This plate is one of the traditional pieces handmade by Sezinando Fernandes Ramalho, one of the last 5 potters to use the ancestral technique of making black pottery in Bisalhães, a technique listed as an intangible World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
Why I love it
- Typically Portuguese, this plate remains functional and can be used in an oven or placed in the freezer
- More than an object, this plate is a part of the Portuguese heritage, now considered as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
If you would like to know more about this manufacturing process, visit our blog and read our article on the black pottery of Bisalhães.
Attention: This piece is handcrafted and entirely handmade. The firing process of the clay used can give it a color that varies from deep black to silvery grey. The imperfections on its surface are an integral part of the object and are also due to the firing process used.
- Diameter: approximately 18 cm
- Height; approximately 3 cm
- Weight: approximately 400 g