Boneca Minhota I Statuette by Júlia Côta - 20 cm
- En Stock / Expédition Immédiate
- Produit authentique du Portugal
- Paiement sécurisé Carte Bancaire, PayPal ou Apple Pay
- Livraison éco-responsable à partir de 9.99€
- Echange ou remboursement pendant 30 jours
This statuette is the representation of life in rural Minho (cradle of Portugal) which combines primary and shimmering colors, female ornaments such as hats or earrings and the daily concerns of women such as flowers, chickens, fish, eggs, here birds... The Boneca Minhota (Minho Doll, in northern Portugal) is the most authentic expression of Julia Côta's personal and creative universe. This artist beautifully shapes the clay naively by representing what she sees around her.
Júlia Côta is one of the greatest living representatives of the "Barcelos Figurado", an artistic movement that expresses Portuguese popular culture. She is the granddaughter of João Domingos Côta da Rocha, known as the father of the Portuguese icon: the Galo de Barcelos (Rooster of Barcelos; He introduced her to the art of modeling the earth at the age of 9.
At almost 85 years old today, Júlia is a renowned artist, welcomed with honors each time she travels and is visited, like an icon, by artists from all over the world who move to her little house in Barcelos in a street that now bears her name.
Her artwork is now part of private collections, are sold worldwide and are sometimes collected for temporary exhibitions or retrospectives. But Julia has kept all her simplicity, is still amazed at the honors she receives and continues to shape the clay in her small house by passing on her know-how to her daughter Prazeres.
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette halfway between craftsmanship and naive art.
- A burlesque evocation of the traditions and mythologies of rural Minho always imbued with sensitivity and respect.
- A very modern piece once it has left its environment.
To learn more about Jùlia Côta and her history, you can read our article "The Fantastic World of Jùlia Côta"
- Height: About 20 cm
- Weight: About 700 g
- Delivered with its certificate of authenticity