São António I Statuette by Jùlia Côta - 50cm
- En Stock / Expédition Immédiate
- Produit authentique du Portugal
- Paiement sécurisé Carte Bancaire, PayPal ou Apple Pay
- Livraison éco-responsable à partir de 9.99€
- Echange ou remboursement pendant 30 jours
This statuette is a representation of the Catholic saint São António. It is the most authentic expression of Julia Côta's personal and creative universe, as she shapes clay, naively, representing what she sees around her.
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette somewhere between handicraft and naive art.
- A burlesque and naive evocation of São António.
- A unique work signed by its author
- Height: approx. 45cm (17.8")
- Weight: approx. 2.5kg
- Delivered with certificate of authenticity
More informations ?
Today, Júlia Côta is one of the greatest living representatives of the "Barcelos Figurado" artistic movement, an expression of Portuguese popular culture. She is the granddaughter of João Domingos Côta da Rocha, recognized as the father of the Portuguese icon: the Galo de Barcelos (Rooster of Barcelos), who introduced her to the art of clay modeling at the age of 9.
At nearly 85 today, Júlia is a recognized artist, welcomed with honors whenever she travels and visited, like an icon, by artists from all over the world who visit her little house in Barcelos on a street that now bears her name.
Her works are now part of private collections, sold all over the world and sometimes assembled for temporary exhibitions or retrospectives. But Júlia has kept her simplicity, is still astonished by the honors bestowed upon her and continues to shape clay in her small house, passing on her skills to her daughter, Prazeres.