Black Terracotta Pot from Bisalhães
- En Stock / Expédition Immédiate
- Produit authentique du Portugal
- Paiement sécurisé Carte Bancaire, PayPal ou Apple Pay
- Livraison éco-responsable à partir de 9.99€
- Echange ou remboursement pendant 30 jours
This small cauldron has a particular shape with its 3 feet that allow to stabilize it in the ember. It is part of the porteries turned by orge Ramalho, the last potter to use the ancestral technique of manufacture of the black potteries of Bisalhães.
The originality of this pottery lies in its color, which can vary from coal black to dark gray. This coloring is obtained naturally by firing in the open air, in a fire of wood, grass and damp earth.
More than an object, this cauldron is a part of the Portuguese heritage, considered today as world heritage to be safeguarded, by UNESCO.
Why I love it
- A part of the Portuguese heritage recognized by UNESCO.
- A unique object and an ancestral technique.
- Diameter: 8cm (3.1")
- Height: 9cm (3.5")
More informations ?
Black pottery is made in several stages. First, the clay is crushed with a wooden hammer in a stone vat before being sifted, added water, kneaded, shaped, smoothed with pebbles and decorated with a stick.
If you want to know more about this manufacturing process, go to our blog and read our article on the black pottery of Bisalhães.