Black Terracotta Pitcher from Bisalhães
- En Stock / Expédition Immédiate
- Produit authentique du Portugal
- Paiement sécurisé Carte Bancaire, PayPal ou Apple Pay
- Livraison éco-responsable à partir de 9.99€
- Echange ou remboursement pendant 30 jours
This jug can be used only if you know its secret! Otherwise, all its liquid spills to the ground as soon as you try to use it. It has 2 discreet holes that must be plugged with your finger to direct the liquid to the right orifice.
This jug is part of the porteries crafted by Jorge Ramalho, the last potter to use the ancestral technique of making black pottery from Bisalhães. The originality of this pottery lies in its color, which can vary from coal black to dark gray. This coloring is obtained naturally by firing in the open air, in a fire of wood, grass and damp earth.
More than an object, this jug is a part of the Portuguese heritage, considered today as world heritage to be safeguarded, by UNESCO.
Why I love it
- A part of the Portuguese heritage recognized by UNESCO.
- A unique object and an ancestral technique.
- A functional decanter that maintains the temperature of the wine..
- Width: 12cm (4.7")
- Height: 23cm (9.1")
- Weight: 850g
More informations ?
Black pottery is made in several stages. First, the clay is crushed with a wooden hammer in a stone vat before being sifted, added water, kneaded, shaped, smoothed with pebbles and decorated with a stick.
If you want to know more about this manufacturing process, go to our blog and read our article on the black pottery of Bisalhães.