São Pedro I Statuette by Jùlia Côta - 35cm
- En Stock / Expédition Immédiate
- Produit authentique du Portugal
- Paiement sécurisé Carte Bancaire, PayPal ou Apple Pay
- Livraison éco-responsable à partir de 9.99€
- Echange ou remboursement pendant 30 jours
This statuette is the representation of the Catholic Saint São Pedro, a symbol of wisdom and knowledge in Portugal. It is the most authentic expression of Julia Côta's personal and creative universe, which shapes the clay, naively, by representing what she sees around her.
Why I love it
- An unclassifiable statuette halfway between craftsmanship and naive art.
- The naive and funny representation of São Francisco is always full of sensitivity and respect
- In fact, this work is very contemporary once it has left its environment.
- Height: about 35cm (13.8")
- Weight: approx.900 g
- Delivered with its certificate of authenticity
More informations ?
Júlia Côta is one of the greatest living representatives of the "Barcelos Figurado", an artistic movement that expresses Portuguese popular culture. She is the granddaughter of João Domingos Côta da Rocha, known as the father of the Portuguese icon: the Galo de Barcelos (Rooster of Barcelos) who introduced her to the art of modeling the earth at the age of 9.
At almost 85 years old today, Julia is a renowned artist, welcomed with honours each time she travels and is visited, like an icon, by artists from all over the world who move to her little house in Barcelos in a street that now bears her name.
Her works are now part of private collections, are sold worldwide and are even collected for temporary exhibitions or retrospectives. But Julia has kept all her simplicity, is still amazed at the honors she receives and continues to shape the clay in her small house by passing on her know-how to her daughter Prazeres.